Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Handmade Gifts

For your consideration: (full article here)

"A wedding, the birth of a child, a new home, an important birthday... All of these are events that mark our lives forever and should be celebrated with a gift you can cherish for a lifetime. Although mixers and vacuums are invaluable tools in our society (as I learned while trying to clean the house with a broken vacuum and in-laws on the way) they just don't do justice to the important milestones of a life. Items that are handmade don't usually end up in the trash bin in five years once they break or become outdated. Handmade goods, like a beautiful clock I once received, become heirlooms that hold memories of special times and people.
Handmade goods also have a personality that a toaster can't really match, even if it is hotrod red. When an item is handmade, a little part of the creator of that piece goes into it. Artists put their ideas, personality, style, and often blood, sweat, and tears into their work. When you find a handmade gift that is just right, you find a gift that speaks volumes about who you are, who the recipient is, and the connection between you."

I have always loved giving and receiving handmade gifts, but recently I was given a gift that really hit home for me and reminded me why handmade things are important. A handmade gift is personal - as a crafter who cares more about process than product, I appreciate more than anything the time and effort that goes into a handmade gift. It isn't so much the thing itself as what it represents.


A handmade gift requires that you put a little bit of yourself into it. A student recently made me this beautiful bookmark as a thank you - and the fact that she would take the time to put her skills to use to make something for me means a lot.

Have you ever received a particularly wonderful handmade gift? What made it special?




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!